Excel 2016 from Scratch Exercise
Modify Numbers – the TRUNC and ROUND functions
An Excel tutorial by Peter Kalmstrom
this exercise in the Excel 2016 from Scratch series, Peter Kalmstrom shows
how to manipulate numbers with these functions:
Note that these functions really alter the data in your worksheet, so caclulations with shortened or rounded numbers will not be exact.
- TRUNC: shorten or truncate a number to a set number of decimals without rounding.
- ROUND: round a number to a set number of decimals or to even tens.
When you want exact calculations but still don't want to see many decimals, use the Excel formatting option
that changes how many decimals are displayed without changing the numbers. Peter has used this formatting option in most of his earlier demonstrations.
If you want to try the exercise yourself, please
download the Excel file Peter uses in the demo!
This is what Peter shows in the demo below:
Peter uses Excel 2016 for his demo, but the Excel calculation functions are the same for
earlier versions of Excel.
- How to name a cell to use it as an absolute reference.
- How to calculate the absolute value of a price including a discount.
- How to fill a formula to cells below by double clicking.
- How to calculate a shortened value of a price including a discount.
- How to calculate a value of a price including a discount rounded to one
- How to calculate a value of a price including a discount rounded to even