Workflow for Alert E-mail to Assigned with CC
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
earlier articles we have shown different ways to set e-mail
alerts to the people who have been assigned tasks. This
can be done either with or without a workflow, but to have
a cc on the e-mail you need to use a workflow.
In the demo below Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer
of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, shows how to create
a workflow that sends an e-mail to two people or groups.
Peter creates a SharePoint 2013 workflow, but the principle
is the same for SharePoint 2010 workflows. He sets the workflow
to be sent when a new item is created in a task list, but
you can use the workflow for any list and also make it send
the e-mail when an item has been changed.
Create a SharePoint 2013 workflow for e-mail notifications
to the assigned with a CC
- In the Standard view: click on the Create column
button under the LIST tab in the ribbon.
- Give the new column a name and select the column
type Person or Group. Click OK.
- In SharePoint Designer, open the site that has the
list you want to send notifications for.
- Open the Summary page for the list.
- At Workflows, click on the New button.
- Give the new workflow a Name and a Description and
select a Platform Type. Both works, but Peter uses a
SharePoint 2013 workflow. Click OK.
- Set the start options you wish to use under Start
Options in the Workflow settings.
Peter uses "Start workflow automatically when an item
is created", but you can also choose ""Start workflow
automatically when an item is changed" – or both.
- Click on the 'Edit the workflow' link.
- Set the Transition to Stage to Go to End of Workflow.
- For Stage 1, click on the Action button in the ribbon
and select Send an Email.
- Click on 'these users' and for To in the Define
E-mail Message dialog, select 'Workflow Lookup for a
- Click on Add and select the 'Field from source'
Assigned To and the 'Return field as' Email Address.
- For CC in the Define E-mail Message dialog, select
'Workflow Lookup for a User'. Click on Add, and select
the new Person or Group column you created at 'Field
from source' and Email Address at 'Return field as'
. Click OK.
- Enter a subject and the e-mail body text. Peter
adds a lookup for the title in the subject and for the
priority in the body text.
- Publish the workflow.