Excel 2016 from Scratch Exercise
Sum, Average, Max and Min
An Excel tutorial by Peter Kalmstrom
this demo in the Excel 2016 from Scratch series, Peter Kalmstrom talks some
more about how to find maximum and minumum values and calculate averages and
As an example Peter uses a shipping company that needs statistics on how many
passenges embark each month in different ports. The shipowners want to know
the total sum for each month and port and also the average, maximum and minimum
for each month and port.
If you want to try the exercise yourself, please
download the Excel file Peter uses in the demo!
This is what Peter shows in the demo below:
Peter uses Excel 2016 for his demo, but the Excel basics are the same for
earlier versions of Excel.
- How to use the AutoSum button to calculate a sum.
- How to use the AutoSum button to calculate an average.
- How to use the AutoSum button to find a maximum.
- How to use the AutoSum button to find a minimum.
- How to fill a formula into other cells.
- How to write a formula that calculates a sum.
- How to write a formula that calculates an average.
- How to write a formula that finds the maximum.
- How to write a formula that finds the minimum.
- How to remove decimals.
to use the predefined Excel Cell Styles to give different formatting to different
cells, depending on their content.