Excel 2016 from Scratch Exercise
Calculate Time Spans and Averages
An Excel tutorial by Peter Kalmstrom
this demo in the Excel 2016 from Scratch series Peter Kalmstrom uses an employee
register as an example.
He shows how to create a formula that calculates how long the employee has
been with the company and he gets other information by using the Totals average
To filter data by gender and martial statusi Peter adds two slicers.
Finally he creates a pivot table that shows the marital status of the employees
and visualizes the result in a pie chart that shows percentage.
If you want to try the exercise yourself, please
download the Excel file Peter uses in the demo.
This is what Peter shows in the demo below:
Peter uses Excel 2016 for his demo, but the Excel visualization tools are
the same for earlier versions of Excel.
- How to format a range of cells as a table.
- How to add a column to the right in a table by writing in a cell to the
right of it.
- How to write a formula that calculates the time between now and a specified
- How to add a Totals row and calculate averages.
- How to insert a pivot table and create a view that shows martial status.
- How to insert a chart that visualizes the pivot table view and shows
the figures in percentage.