Vertical and Horizontal Totals Calculation
A SharePoint Workflows tutorial by Peter Kalmström The SharePoint,Totals? feature can be used to summarize values in a SharePoint column, and the result of the calculation is shown on top of the column that has been calculated. This is a very useful feature but it has two problems:
Only Microsoft can solve the UI issue, but a a workflow can solve the problem with the calculated column.
- The Totals view cannot be used in modern lists.
- The Totals view cannot be used on calculated columns.
In the demo below Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, shows how to build a workflow that calculates the sum of values in two currency columns and adds it to a third currency column. As we are not using a calculated column, we can add the Totals view to all three columns and get both vertical and horizontal sums.
Calculate sums workflow A list item?s,Total Cost??? column cannot be updated with a calculation directly in an,Update Item? action. Instead, Peter uses a local variable that gets its value from a,Do Calculation? action.
- Create a new SharePoint 2013 workflow that is run every time an item is created or changed. Go to the end of the workflow.
- Add the action 'Do Calculation' for the sum of the two values that should be summarized. Output the result to a new variable.
- Add the action 'Set Field in Current Item' and set the field to the total cost. Set the value to the variable you created in the previous step.
- Check, publish and test the workflow.