Create Clickable SharePoint Online Image in Excel
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
this last article about how to create hotspot images, pictures
with clickable links, for use in SharePoint, we will look
at how you can create such images in Excel.
Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, shows how to open a map in Excel and
add links to the continents. Then he saves the picture
to a SharePoint site and inserts it in a Content Editor
web part in a SharePoint wiki page.
If you try this tip, make sure you don't insert the image
into a specific cell. You should not have a range of cells
selected when you insert the image. Images inserted in cells
will only give a white box in the Content Editor web part.
Create a picture with clickable links in Excel
Now, each time you change something in the file on your
computer and save it, the SharePoint image will be updated
- Open Excel and insert an image that you want to
give clickable areas. You can also use a SmartArt graphic.
- Use the freeform scribble shape (or another suitable
shape) to draw a line around the area.
- Select the area and add a hyperlink to it.
- Save the image as a Web Page to the Site Pages library
in the site where you want to show it.
- Publish the sheet and allow Autorepublishing every
time the file is saved.
- Save the file as an .xlsx file to your computer
and enable the AutoRepublish feature.
- Open the SharePoint page in edit mode and insert
the Content Editor web part.
- Point the web part to the file you saved from Excel