Archive SharePoint Library Documents
A SharePoint tutorial by Peter Kalmstrom
In order to keep SharePoint libraries easy to overview, it is necessary to
remove files that are no longer in use. Sometimes you don’t want to delete
files but want to keep them for future reference, for example in an archive
library. By using libraries instead of subfolders, you make it easier to search
In this Tip Peter Kalmstrom, a Microsoft certified SharePoint specialist and
trainer, shows a workflow that moves SharePoint library files into an archive
library automatically, when the document status is set to Expired. Peter uses
SharePoint 2013 in the demo below, but the workflow for library files archiving
works for SharePoint 2010 too.
Follow these steps to create a workflow:
Now whenever you set the Document Status column of any file in the original
SharePoint library to Expired, that file will automatically be copied to the
Archive library, and the file from the original library will be deleted.
- On the SharePoint site, create an Archive library and a Status
- Open Site Contents.
add an app and create a new Document Library .
- Open the original library. From the Library tab, go to Create
Column to add a new column for status.
- Select the Type “Choice (menu to choose from)” and enter choice
values (in this case New, Ongoing and Expired).
- In SharePoint Designer, create a workflow
Lists and Libraries, open the original library.
- From the List Settings tab, click List Workflow and create
- Open a summary page for the new workflow.
- Under Start Options, check all checkboxes.
- Go to Edit workflow under Customization and set the
Transition to Stage as “End of Workflow”.
- Press Condition and select If value equals value. Now
you will get the text "If value equals
value" under Stage 1.
- Click on the first value
and set the return field to the newly created column name. Here it
is Document Status.
- At the place of the second value
you will get a dropdown with the Choices values that you set while
creating the column. Select the value that you want to use as a trigger
for the move to another library, here Expired.
- Press the Action button and select Copy Document. Now
you will find the text “Copy Document in
this library to this library”
at Stage 1.
- Click the first this library
and set it to Current Item
- Set the second this library
to the Archive library you have created.
- Press the Action button and select Delete Item. Now you
will find the text “then Delete item in
this list” under Stage 1. Click this list and select Current
- Click on Publish.
Try the kalmstrom.com
Outlook and SharePoint Solutions
Kanban Task Manager
Visualize and co-operate on projects and tasks in Outlook
Issue tracking with Outlook and SharePoint
Time Reporting from inside your SharePoint or Outlook Calendar
Teacher controlled self studies in SharePoint
Customized backup and archiving of SharePoint list items to an MS Access
or SQL Server database
Let Outlook publish e-mail attachments to a SharePoint document library
and add a link in the e-mail.
Resource Management in the Outlook Calendar
Base inside Outlook
Always the latest news
about kalmstrom.com in
the kalmstrom.com blog
Follow kalmstrom.com on