Use an Outlook Rule to Forward Incoming E-mails
to a Specified Folder
An Outlook tutorial by Peter Kalmstrom
In Microsoft Outlook you can create rules for incoming E-mails. A rule performs
an action automatically, based on the conditions you have specified. For example,
an e-mail can be moved from the inbox to a specific folder according to the
condition you have assigned to the rule.
Note that rules do not apply to e-mails that have been read. They only apply
to unread e-mails.
To create rules for Outlook follow the steps below:
- Open Outlook and click on the Rules button under the HOME tab.
- Select Create Rule…
- A Create Rule dialog will open. Here you can select conditions through
checkboxes (Refer to the image below).
- You can create a rule for a specific person. When he/she sends you an
e-mail, it will automatically be moved to the specific folder that you will
- You can also specify a word (For example, Folder HelpDesk) in
the subject. When an e-mail subject contains that word, the e-mail will
automatically be moved to the folder that you will assign.
Click on Select Folder… A Rules and Alerts dialog will open. Under ‘Choose
a folder’, select a folder or click on New…
- When you click on the New… a ‘Create New Folder’ dialog will open. Write
the name you want to give to the folder (for example, ‘FHDLiveMonitoring’
in the image below) and click OK.
- Now a folder named FHDLiveMonitoring is created.
Click OK. A Success dialog will open. To run this rule on messages already
in the current folder check the checkbox.
Now click on OK. The rule is created.