Sync SharePoint Library with Local Outlook
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
have earlier seen how to synchronize a SharePoint calendar
and a SharePoint contacts list with Outlook. Both these
apps are only available with the classic interface, which
have a 'Connect to Outlook' button in the ribbon. The modern
interface does not have that button, so when you want to
sync a SharePoint library with Outlook, you must use the
classic library interface.
In this tutorial, Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer
of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, shows how to synchronize
a SharePoint library with Outlook and how to work
offline with the files. Note that metadata is not synchronized,
only the files themselves.
These are the steps to sync a classic SharePoint library
When you open a file you first have to click on the Edit
Offline button to work with it. Then you can edit and save
the file as usual, and the changes will be synchronized
- Open your Outlook with your Office 365 account on
- In SharePoint, under the LIBRARY tab, go to the
‘Connect & Export’ ribbon group and click on ‘Connect
- In Microsoft Outlook, a dialog will open to confirm
– “Connect this SharePoint Document Library to Outlook?”
- Now you will get a full offline file store available
in a folder inside your Outlook.
- Open any file to work with and click on then save
AAs you have the files in Outlook you can also use other
Outlook settings, like send and receive settings, on the
folder that is synchronized with SharePoint.