Categorization with File Rating
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström In a few articles we are looking on how best categorize files and list items in SharePoint. In the demo below, Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, shows how to categorize files in document libraries by rating them.
There are two options for file rating: by stars or by likes. Peter shows how both methods work. Peter is using a library with the classic interface, but rating works in the same way in modern libraries.
Allow rating in a SharePoint document library
Now a new rating column will be created and displayed in the document library.
- Click on 'Library Settings' under the settings gear or under the LIBRARY tab in the ribbon.
- Click on the Rating settings link under General Settings.
- Click on the Yes radio button.
- Click on the radio button for Likes or Star Ratings, whichever you prefer.
- Click OK.
The star rating column has five empty stars, and you can rate each file by clicking in a star. When you do, all stars to the left will be filled, so if you want to rate a file with three stars you should click in the third star.
The like rating has a Like link, and when you click on it a smiley emoticon is shown at the file. It is possible to remove the linking by clicking on Unlike.
In both cases SharePoint also shows how many users who have rated the file.
- Filter by rating.
- Create views by rating.
- Search results are shown in rating order. By default the highest rated/most liked hits are shown first.