Create a Public Folder on Exchange Online
and add it to Outlook Web App or a local Outlook
An Office 365 tutorial by Peter Kalmstrom
Exchange public folder can be used by several people in
Outlook Web App or in their local Outlook installations.
It allows a group of users to view and send e-mails from
a common mailbox. These users can also share a common calendar.
A public folder must be contained in a public folder mailbox.
Create a public folder in Office 365 Exchange Online
- In Office 365, go to Admin and select
- In the Exchange admin center, select public
folders. (Use the links in the right panel
to manage your folders when you have created them.)
- A new dialog will appear. Select public folder
mailboxes in the top menu, because you have to create
a public folder mailbox before you can create a public
- Press the plus sign to create a
new public folder mailbox. In the new dialog, enter
a name for the public folder and click on
- You will now see the newly created mailbox in the
list of public folder mailboxes. Select public
folders in the top navigation.
- Click the plus sign and enter a name for
the public folder. This is the name that will be visible
in Outlook. You don't have to enter anything in the
Path field. Click on save.
- Now you will see the new public folder in a list.
In the right pane, make sure the Mail settings are enabled.
Click on Manage to open a dialog that lets you
add people who should have access to the public folder.
Click on the plus sign.
- Click on Browse and select a person to whom
you want to give access to the public folder. When you
want to give access to many users, create a user group
and select the group just as you select regular users.
Define permission level for each user or group you add.
- Click save and then save again when
you have added all users.
Add the public folder to Outlook Web App
- Open Outlook in Office 365
- Right click on Favorites and select add
- Select the public folder and click add.
- Here is the public folder in Outlook Web App.
Add the public folder to a local Outlook
- Create a new Outlook profile: Open the Control panel
and go to Mail> Show profile >Add. Enter a name
for the new profile.
- When you click on OK an Auto Account Setup dialog
will be displayed. Enter your name and login details
to Office 365 and click Next.
- Outlook starts configuring the e-mail server
settings. You will get a success message when this has
- Open Outlook and select the new profile when you
are asked to select a profile. Now the public folder
will be loaded into your local Outlook.