Create a Public Folder on Exchange Online
and add it to Outlook Web App or a local Outlook
An Office 365 tutorial by Peter Kalmstrom
Exchange public folder can be used by several people in Outlook Web App or
in their local Outlook installations. It allows a group of users to view and
send e-mails from a common mailbox. These users can also share a common calendar.
A public folder must be contained in a public folder mailbox.
Create a public folder in Office 365 Exchange Online
- In Office 365, go to Admin and select Exchange.
- In the Exchange admin center, select public folders.
(Use the links in the right panel to manage your folders when you have created
- A new dialog will appear. Select public folder mailboxes in the
top menu, because you have to create a public folder mailbox before you can
create a public folder.
- Press the plus sign to create a new public folder mailbox.
In the new dialog, enter a name for the public folder and click on
- You will now see the newly created mailbox in the list of public folder
mailboxes. Select public folders in the top navigation.
- Click the plus sign and enter a name for the public folder. This
is the name that will be visible in Outlook. You don't have to enter anything
in the Path field. Click on save.
- Now you will see the new public folder in a list. In the right pane,
make sure the Mail settings are enabled. Click on Manage to open a
dialog that lets you add people who should have access to the public folder.
Click on the plus sign.
- Click on Browse and select a person to whom you want to give access
to the public folder. When you want to give access to many users, create
a user group and select the group just as you select regular users. Define
permission level for each user or group you add.
- Click save and then save again when you have added all
Add the public folder to Outlook Web App
- Open Outlook in Office 365
- Right click on Favorites and select add public folder.
- Select the public folder and click add.
- Here is the public folder in Outlook Web App.
Add the public folder to a local Outlook
- Create a new Outlook profile: Open the Control panel and go to Mail>
Show profile >Add. Enter a name for the new profile.
- When you click on OK an Auto Account Setup dialog will be displayed.
Enter your name and login details to Office 365 and click Next.
- Outlook starts configuring the e-mail server settings. You will
get a success message when this has been completed.
- Open Outlook and select the new profile when you are asked to select
a profile. Now the public folder will be loaded into your local Outlook.
Always the latest news
about kalmstrom.com in
the kalmstrom.com blog
Follow kalmstrom.com on
Exchange and Outlook
Folder HelpDesk is installed in a shared network folder and an Outlook
shared mailbox or public folder. E-mails are converted into tickets, and
staff can work with these tickets inside Outlook.
Resource Management in the Outlook Calendar.
Calendar Browser is installed in a shared network folder and an Outlook
shared mailbox or public folder. Each resource has its own calendar, and
users book a resource by making an appointment in its calendar.
kalmstrom.com Solutions built on
Outlook and/or SharePoint
Kanban Task Manager
Visualize and co-operate on projects and tasks in Outlook
or SharePoint. Workgroup and Single versions.
Time Reporting from inside an Outlook or SharePoint Calendar. Workgroup
and Single versions.
Issue tracking with Outlook and SharePoint.
Base inside Outlook.
from 139 EUR/180 USD
and free use included
from 9 EUR/12 USD
Support and upgrades included