Development plans for Folder HelpDesk
is what we want to see in future versions of Folder HelpDesk.
The priorities are fluent, but if you like a feature and
wish to make it reality soon, you are very welcome to
sponsor it. Then we will put "your" feature on the top
of the list.
We also welcome all suggestions for future development,
whether your organization has a possibility to sponsor it
Current development, for release in Q4 2017
- A completely new design of the HTML views.
- A possibility to display the actual e-mail received date, instead of the ticket creation date in the ticket form.
- New design of the sharing options dialog.
Folder HelpDesk version 15 is going to be a total
change from the previous versions. We will re-build
Folder HelpDesk from the ground, while maintaining
the features that you have come to like and rely on in the
earlier versions. Our foundation will continue to be in
Outlook where there is a lot of functionality we will build
The back-end architecture will be different, though!
Folder HelpDesk will no longer rely on a shared network
folder and an Outlook public folder/shared mailbox. Instead
we will use three options for sharing and storage of data:
an Access database, an SQL Server database or a SharePoint
site. Each user will connect to the shared data by entering
username, password and URL. The add-on will be entirely
based on the VSTO tools and .NET, which will give us many
- Sort Ticket IDs as numbers, not as text.
- Make the Open ticket button work for Tasks
created from tickets also.
- Add a possibility to make an appointment from
a ticket, like you can make a task in the current
- If Kanban Task Manager is installed on the
same machine it will be possible to create a Kanban
Task Manager task from a ticket.
- Make it possible to include CC in the ticket
and to reply to all persons included in the e-mail.
- Enable tab to go from Ticket Properties to
Ticket Body without using the mouse.
- Addition of a Merge Ticket feature, which
will make it possible to merge existing tickets or parts
of tickets into one parent ticket. This feature might
be useful for many reasons, for example if you wish
to merge all tickets from one customer into one single
to manually create tickets from several e-mails
at the same time by using the CTRL button with the Create
- Make it possible to create ticket templates
and to quickly create new instances of those templates.
Helpdesks often get tasks that need to be done often.
In a template ticket the admin may put information about
such a task, with lots of information filled out This
will save the helpdesk staff time in not having to fill
out the same information over and over.
- Make it possible to drag an e-mail to a ticket
so that it is added to the ticket.
- If you enter a value that is not present in the
Settings in a default ticket field, it can be added
automatically according to the settings under the Ticket
form tab. We would like to add the same functionality
of adding new values also for the custom fields.
Addition of a Caller category field in the Search
closed tickets Advanced dialog.
- Possibility to convert e-mails to tickets even if
no one is logged in to Folder HelpDesk.
Today one user must have the Folder HelpDesk
folder in Outlook open or it can be running on a server.
- Possibility to set a default due date value,
so that the user can select no. of days from current
date. Now the default value is always the current date.
- Close Ticket button in the Outlook toolbar,
which will close the selected ticket. This way you don't
have to open the ticket if you are sure it should be
- We plan to add a warning that will be activated
if you try to save a custom field with an already existing
- Add a possibility to set a default responsible
for an Incident type.
- Add a possibility to set more than one Responsible.
- Add a possibility to send an automatic e-mail
to the caller when a responsible has been assigned
- Add a possibility to send an automatic e-mail
to the responsible when ticket has been assigned
- Make it possible to automatically send an e-mail
to the second responsible if a ticket is reassigned,
just like an automatic e-mail can be sent when the ticket
is assigned the first time.
- A status field in the tblPersons table. If
you don't delete responsible persons who stop using
Folder HelpDesk, they still appear as possible
to assign tickets to. But if you delete them, there
will be orphaned records in the tblTickets table. To
solve this we will add a status field, and Folder
HelpDesk will only show active responsibles in the
Welcome with your own suggestions on how to improve
Folder HelpDesk! We are grateful if you use the
support e-mail for this, and the more you can describe
how you want it to work, the better. You can leave the technical
solution to the kalmstrom.com developers, just tell us how
you want to use your new feature.
- Add callers from Active Directory. We want
to develop a tool that will add all the user from Active
directory to the Caller table in the Folder HelpDesk
- Display Print Options. When you press the
Folder HelpDesk Print button you will have
a possibility to select another printer than the default
- Keep deleted Incidents and Responsibles in the
database when they are deleted from the Folder
HelpDesk settings. That way they can still be seen
in old tickets and reports, even if they can no longer
be selected in the ticket. Today only Caller and Caller
Category work this way.
- We will make it possible to use Folder HelpDesk
RemoteApp sessions. Currently the file FHDSynch.exe
is developed to run in a single instance, but this prevents
the use of Folder HelpDesk for all but the first
user in a scenario where several users access the same
Folder HelpDesk Outlook folder using RemoteApp
on the same terminal server.
- Possibility to use Folder HelpDesk with
smart phones like Android and iPhone.
We plan to build simple web-interface for both our issue-tracking
solutions wherein the user can view and update his/her
own tickets. In addition to that we hope to give users
the ability to record audio updates as well as upload
images directly from their mobile phones.
- Rules Wizard. With the help of a Rules Wizard
you can create rules that make Folder HelpDesk
do many things that you now have to do manually, like
sending e-mails, setting responsible or caller, move
e-mails etc. It will work in the same way as the Outlook
Email Rules Wizard.
An example: Alpha has bought two products from your
company, and therefore their incident reports need two
different Responsibles. As Alpha often sends their requests
by e-mail, you can create a rule that is triggered when
an e-mail from Alpha is converted to a ticket. If the
subject line of the e-mail contains "Product A", the
ticket is assigned to Maria and an e-mail is sent to
her about the new ticket. If the subject line of the
e-mail contains "Product B" it is assigned to John and
he gets the e-mail instead. You may also make a rule
to send an e-mail to Alpha that the request is received
and will be taken care of, and other rules can send
messages to Alpha when the ticket is updated and when
it is closed.
Each Rule is made up of
Your rules will be gathered in a list, where you can
enable or disable them.
- Trigger for the rule, like when an e-mail is
converted, or when a ticket is updated or closed
- Condition(s) that must be present for the rule
- Action ‒ the task you want Folder HelpDesk
to perform automatically
In a later step we plan to add a possibility to make
the rules send out SMS also.