Use Content Search for News from several Sites
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
Search can be used for efficient news distribution. In the
demos below Peter Kalmstrom, CEO and Systems Designer of
kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, creates Announcements
apps for three sites and displays them all on one page using
the Content Search web part. Peter also points out how the
news search is trimmed by permissions.
Add a Content Search Web Part and connect it to Announcements
- Create one Announcements app for each site collection
that should be included in the distribution.
- Open the page where you want to add the Content
Searchweb part in Edit mode.
- Click on the Web Part button under the ribbon INSERT
tab and select the part Content Search in the Content
Rollup category. Click on Add.
- Edit the web part and click on the 'Change query'
- Select the query 'Items matching a content type
(System)'. Restrict to the content type Announcements.
(Peter chooses to not restrict by app or tag.) Click
- Set the number of items to show.
- Select a Display Template for Control and Item.
Peter recommends 'List with Paging' and 'Two lines'.
- Click on Apply and Save the page.