Customize a List Form in Access
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
lists can be opened in Microsoft Access, and you can also
customize the form there. In the demo below Peter Kalmstrom,
CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions,
shows how to do it. The method also work for library
In this case the information is stored in SharePoint, but
the form itself is displayed in Access. SharePoint workflows
and settings will work as if the form was shown in SharePoint.
Open a List in Access
Under the LIST tab in the ribbon of the SharePoint list,
click on the button to open the list in Access. Select the
default option, to link the list.
If the Open in Access button is not active you can follow
these steps instead:
- Start Access.
- In Access, create a blank desktop database.
- Delete or close the default table.
- Click on the More button under the EXTERNAL DATA
tab in the ribbon and select SharePoint List.
- In the dialog that opens, paste or write in the
path to the site that has the list you want to open
- Select the linked table option and click Next.
- Now all lists f the site are shown. Select the one
you want to use. A list table with all the data from
SharePoint will be created.'
Create a List Form in Access
To use the form, you should instead select the Forms view.
Any changes you make will be saved to both Access and SharePoint
as soon as you move the cursor to another field.
- In Access, select or open the list table and click
on the Form button under the CREATE tab in the ribbon.
- To customize the form, click on the Views button
under the ribbon HOME tab and select the Design view.
To open the data base list in the Forms view, click on Options
under the FILE tab and select the list at the Display Form