Customize a List Form in Access
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
lists can be opened in Microsoft Access, and you can also customize the form
there. In the demo below Peter Kalmstrom, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, shows how to do it. The method also work for library
In this case the information is stored in SharePoint, but the form itself
is displayed in Access. SharePoint workflows and settings will work as if
the form was shown in SharePoint.
Open a List in Access
Under the LIST tab in the ribbon of the SharePoint list, click on the button
to open the list in Access. Select the default option, to link the list.
If the Open in Access button is not active you can follow these steps instead:
- Start Access.
- In Access, create a blank desktop database.
- Delete or close the default table.
- Click on the More button under the EXTERNAL DATA tab in the ribbon and
select SharePoint List.
- In the dialog that opens, paste or write in the path to the site that
has the list you want to open in Access.
- Select the linked table option and click Next.
- Now all lists f the site are shown. Select the one you want to use. A
list table with all the data from SharePoint will be created.'
Create a List Form in Access
To use the form, you should instead select the Forms view. Any changes you
make will be saved to both Access and SharePoint as soon as you move the cursor
to another field.
- In Access, select or open the list table and click on the Form button
under the CREATE tab in the ribbon.
- To customize the form, click on the Views button under the ribbon HOME
tab and select the Design view.
To open the data base list in the Forms view, click on Options under the FILE
tab and select the list at the Display Form entry.