Manage Rental Agreements – Renewal E-mail Workflow
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
the previous article
we showed how to create a reusable workflow that sets the rental agreement
renewal date to two months before the end date of the agreement. On the renewal
day, the responsible person should have an e-mail reminder about the renewal,
and for that we will use another reusable workflow.
In the demo below Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, shows how to create a reusable workflow that sends an
e-mail to the responsible person on the rental agreement renewal day. He also
shows how to create a table in Word and paste it into the e-mail body.
Peter has to create a SharePoint 2010 workflow, because SharePoint 2013 workflows
cannot be connected to a specific content type, which is necessary for this
Create a reusable workflow that sends a renewal alert
- Open the root site of the site collection in SharePoint Designer 2013.
- Click on the Workflows link in the left panel.
- Click on the Reusable Workflow button in the ribbon.
- Create a new SharePoint 2010 workflow and give it a name. Connect the
workflow to the rental agreements content type.
- Select the Action 'Send an Email'.
- For the e-mail To field, set a Workflow Lookup for a User to the Responsible
Person and return it as an Email Address.
- For the e-mail Subject field, type the text you want to use in the String
Builder and add a lookup for the Title, which is used for the name of the
- For the e-mail body, enter or paste the content you want to use. (Peter
pastes a Word table and adds lookups for the current item's values in the
content type columns.)
- Add a link to the rental agreement item. Pick the link from the function
guide. Choose the Data source 'Workflow Context' and the Field from source
'Current Item URL'.
- Publish the workflow
Now the workflow must be connected to the content type used in the rental
agreements lists. That is done once for the whole site collection. Then all
lists that use the rental agreements content type will have the send renewal
Associate the workflow with the content type
- Open the Site settings in the root site of the site collection and click
on the Site content types link in the Web Designer Galleries group.
- Select the content type group that contains the rental agreements content
type and then the content type itself.
- Click on the Workflow settings link and then on Add a workflow.
- Select the reusable workflow you just created.
- Give the workflow a name but don't set any start options. This will be
done with a timer, which is the subject for
As no start option is set, Peter cannot check the workflow by create or change
a list item. Instead he clicks on the Workflows button under the ITEMS tab
and starts the workflow manually, to make sure that it really sends the e-mail.
NOTE: this workflow is still not finished. It must be set to start on a specific date for each rental agreement. This date is defined in the Information Management Policy Settings; refer to the