Manage Rental Agreements – Renewal E-mail Workflow
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
article we showed how to create a reusable workflow that
sets the rental agreement renewal date to two months before
the end date of the agreement. On the renewal day, the responsible
person should have an e-mail reminder about the renewal,
and for that we will use another reusable workflow.
In the demo below Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer
of kalmstrom.com Business Solutions, shows how to create
a reusable workflow that sends an e-mail to the responsible
person on the rental agreement renewal day. He also shows
how to create a table in Word and paste it into the e-mail
Peter has to create a SharePoint 2010 workflow, because
SharePoint 2013 workflows cannot be connected to a specific
content type, which is necessary for this workflow.
Create a reusable workflow that sends a renewal alert
- Open the root site of the site collection in SharePoint
- Click on the Workflows link in the left panel.
- Click on the Reusable Workflow button in the ribbon.
- Create a new SharePoint 2010 workflow and give it
a name. Connect the workflow to the rental agreements
- Select the Action 'Send an Email'.
- For the e-mail To field, set a Workflow Lookup for
a User to the Responsible Person and return it as an
- For the e-mail Subject field, type the text you
want to use in the String Builder and add a lookup for
the Title, which is used for the name of the location.
- For the e-mail body, enter or paste the content
you want to use. (Peter pastes a Word table and adds
lookups for the current item's values in the content
- Add a link to the rental agreement item. Pick the
link from the function guide. Choose the Data source
'Workflow Context' and the Field from source 'Current
- Publish the workflow
Now the workflow must be connected to the content type used
in the rental agreements lists. That is done once for the
whole site collection. Then all lists that use the rental
agreements content type will have the send renewal e-mail
Associate the workflow with the content type
- Open the Site settings in the root site of the site
collection and click on the Site content types link
in the Web Designer Galleries group.
- Select the content type group that contains the
rental agreements content type and then the content
- Click on the Workflow settings link and then on
Add a workflow.
- Select the reusable workflow you just created.
- Give the workflow a name but don't set any start
options. This will be done with a timer, which is the
As no start option is set, Peter cannot check the workflow
by create or change a list item. Instead he clicks on the
Workflows button under the ITEMS tab and starts the workflow
manually, to make sure that it really sends the e-mail.
NOTE: this workflow is still not finished. It must be set
to start on a specific date for each rental agreement. This
date is defined in the Information Management Policy Settings;
refer to the