Create a Landing Page with an Excel Chart
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
demo Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, created a landing page with a web part
that shows the view links to the right and the list items
to the left.
In the demo below Peter enhances this landing page with
an Excel chart that shows number of worked hours per assigned.
Peter created that chart in
an earlier demo.
Note that the Excel Web Access web part that Peter uses
in the demo is only available in the Enterprise Plan of
SharePoint or Office 365.
Add an Excel chart to a web part in a SharePoint landing
- Save the Excel chart to the SharePoint site that
has the list you are using. Select a view option under
Browser View Options... Peter selects the default option,
to show the entire workbook.
- Copy the path to the saved workbook.
- On the SharePoint landing page, Click on Edit? on
the top right of the page. The page will open in Edit
- Place the mouse cursor in the column, where you
want to add the chart. Open the INSERT tab and click
on the Web Part? button.
- Under the category Business Data, select the Excel
Web Access part. Click on Add.
- Edit the web part and select what workbook to use.
- Write in the name of the item you want to show in
the web part.
- Uncheck the box for All Workbook interactivity and
do other settings to customize the web part before you
- (If the chart size does not fit you can change it
in Excel, save and refresh the SharePoint page to check
if it looks better.)
- Save the page.
Refresh the Excel chart
When an Excel chart is added to a SharePoint page in this
way, it will not be updated automatically when the list
data is changed. Instead you have to open Excel and refresh
the chart. This can be done in two ways:
Under the DATA tab you can also click on the Connections
button and then Properties and check the box for 'Refresh
data when opening the file'.
- Click on the Refresh button under the ANALYZE tab
and select Refresh All.
- Click on the Refresh All button under the DATA tab.