Show Connected List Data in Display Form
A SharePoint Online tutorial by Peter Kalmström
In the previous
demo Peter Kalmström, CEO and Systems Designer of kalmstrom.com
Business Solutions, explained how to connect a Customers
list app part where country was one of the metadata with
a Countries list app part. The result lets users click on
a country to see all customers from that country.
In the demo below Peter uses the same two lists, but he
will create a new kind of connection. He will enhance the
display form of the Countries list, so that all customers
from that country in the Customers list are shown when you
open a country list item.
Enhance a list item display form to show data from another
Before Peter starts editing the form he opens the Site Settings
and selects Yes to "Open forms in a dialog" under Advanced
settings. This is not necessary for the connection to work,
but Peter prefers to see the display form in a dialog instead
of in a new window.
Now users can open a country item and see all customers
from that country.
- In the Countries list, the ribbon LIST tab and click
on 'Form Web Parts'.
- Select 'Default Display Form' ad it will open in
- Click on the link 'Add a Web Part' and select the
Customers list web part. Click on Add.
- The Customers list web part gets added to the top.
Minimize it and drag it below the Countries list web
part. Then restore the list again.
- (Click on Stop Editing as a security measure, in
case the next step fails. The page is saved automatically
when you stop editing.
- Open the Default Display form again, as in step
1 and 2.)
- Open the accordion in the top right corner of the
Countries list web part and select Connections.
- Select 'Provide Row To'.
- In the pop-up dialog, select 'Get Filter Values
- Click on Configure.
- Connect the Country field in the Provider to the
Country field in the Consumer.
- Click on Finish and Stop Editing.