Automatic e-mail conversion: How can we use an Outlook rule to forward incoming e-mails
to a folder monitored by Folder HelpDesk?
In Microsoft Outlook you can create rules for
incoming e-mails. A rule performs an action automatically,
based on the conditions you have specified. For example,
an e-mail can be moved from the inbox to a specific folder
according to the condition you have assigned to the rule.
Note that rules do not apply to e-mails that have been read.
They only apply to unread e-mails.
To create rules for Outlook follow the steps below:
- Open Outlook and click on the Rules button under the HOME tab.
- Select Create Rule…
- A Create Rule dialog will open. Here you can select conditions through checkboxes (Refer to the image below).
- You can create a rule for a specific person. When he/she sends you an e-mail, it will automatically be moved to the specific folder that you will assign.
- You can also specify a word (For example, Folder HelpDesk ) in the subject. When an e-mail subject contains that word, the e-mail will automatically be moved to the folder that you will assign.
- Click on Select Folder… A Rules and Alerts dialog will open. Under ‘Choose a folder’, select a folder or click on New…
- When you click on New… A ‘Create New Folder’ dialog will open. Write the name you want to give to the folder (for example, ‘FHDLiveMonitoring’ in the image below) and click OK.
- Now a folder named FHDLiveMonitoring is created.
- Click OK. A Success dialog will open. To run this rule on messages already in the current folder, check the checkbox.
- Now click on OK. The rule is created.
- In the Outlook ribbon, click Configure in the Folder HelpDesk ribbon group.
- A Configure dialog will open.
- Click on the E-mail Folders tab to set Folder HelpDesk to monitor a folder. Folder HelpDesk will then automatically pick up all incoming e-mails to that folder and convert them into tickets.
- Click the + sign to add a folder. If you wish the folder to be a public folder, click OK and you are asked to select a folder. For a shared mailbox the name of the folder must be written in.
- Click OK, and the folder will be monitored by Folder HelpDesk.